2119 Chapel Hill Road Durham, NC 27707
- Website: http://montessorimiddle.dpsnc.net/pages/Lakewood_Montessori
- Categories: Schools
DGIN recently funded these projects:
- Teaching with Love & Logic Book Study- New staff members participated in a
book study that discusses the Montessori theme as it relates to classroom
management and student discipline. Staff members shared that the study
supported them in developing positive discipline structures and building strong
student/teacher relationships throughout the entire school year.
- Field Study Student Scholarships for 7th and 8th Graders- Students were
awarded needs-based scholarships to participate in an overnight trip to the Ft.
Caswell Coastal Environmental Education Center in Oak Island, NC. This trip
was focused around the Montessori theme of Erdkinder meaning “children of
the land.” The group spent time in nature developing a strong community that
served as the foundation for the year’s academic program.
- Field Study Transportation to DPS Hub Farm- Each of the six communities (i.e.
“teams”) had the opportunity to visit the Durham Public Schools Hub Farm
three times over the course of the year. Students experienced the work that
goes into producing food, collaboration with peers to complete assigned tasks
at the farm, understanding sustainability and the purpose of seasonal farming,
and learned about local ecology through direct work on the land.
- Magnet Schools of America and the Excellence Awards- For the past four
years, Lakewood Montessori has received the Excellence Award. Funds
support the travel of three staff members to accept the award and attend
workshops aimed to continue improvement.
- Outside Classroom Supplies and Materials- Supplies and materials were
replenished for the outside garden that was established in the 2016-17 school year. The
garden encourages hands-on learning about the environment, sustainability,
and understanding of where food comes from and how it is grown.